Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Without Music, Life Would be a Mistake"*

Last night was my first "practice" with the Kitchener Musical Society Band, and really there are no words to describe how much I sucked. My biggest fear was passing out from lack of oxygen (I play the flute--it's an occupational hazard when you're new to the instrument or just really out of practice, as I am) but I need not have worried because in order to pass out you actually need to be playing which I hardly did at all. I had forgotten how much I had forgotten, if you know what I mean. Not to mention my embouchure is so pathetically out of shape that I was flat the whole night. This is what one gets when one has not been playing the flute regularly (or kissing one's boyfriend regularly--either one) so it's time to strengthen those lips, my friends.

On the plus side, everyone was really nice and didn't make me feel bad at all about how much I sucked. One of the other flautists is going to email me PDFs of all the music pieces because we're not allowed to take the original copies home to practice with. I mean really--what's a little copyright infringement among bandmates? I'm gonna need to really work hard to be able to play in the Christmas concerts, but I'm up for the challenge and I know I can do it. As My Honey pointed out, "At one point you were an excellent flautist... why would you think you couldn't be again?"

See why I love him?

*In case you're wondering, it's Frederch Nietzsche.

7 comments:

Katie said...

oh man, when i get my didgeridoo, we are going to rock out for serious.

Anonymous said...

It's sad when you realize that you can't do something that you used to do eh? I had that feeling when I attempted a cartwheel and pulled...errr...something.

Your man is right though-you can regain your mad fluting skillz with practice practice practice :) Please advise of your premiere concert-I'd love to attend to cheer you on!

psychsarah said...

I'm anonymous above-don't know what happened there-sorry!

Rick Henderson said...

Best of luck S, I had no idea you played the flute! The things you learn after 12+ years of knowing someone.

Stacy said...

Thanks Anonymous Sarah! Don't worry--I'll be promoting the hell out of my first appearance! I'm not above tooting my own horn ;)

Guy Hosenpeter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guy Hosenpeter said...

haha..'tooting your own horn'..seriously, when is your first concert? I'll be there with bells on!...literally...maybe they'll make me part of he percussion section!
and yes...I deleted my last post because of spelling mistakes...