Thursday, December 9, 2010

Trying to Get Into the Christmas Spirit

I decided to not put up a Christmas tree this year.  I've had a Christmas tree every single year since being on my own at age 19.  I bought my first tree for $9.99 at Canadian Tire--it was 3 feet tall and that first Christmas I decorated it with a homemade popcorn garland (which was entirely too much work and I never did that again!)  A couple of years ago, when we moved into our current apartment, I bought a larger tree since we had a bigger space that would make a larger tree fit better.  It was also purchased at Canadian Tire, cost $24.99 and was 4 1/2 feet tall.

The other reason I had to get a larger tree was I've accumulated a tonne of ornaments.  I try every year to get a "special" ornament and these have grown to a large number which just couldn't all fit on a 3 foot tree.  Then, last year my Mom gave me the family collection of "special" ornaments so now even my 4 foot tree seems to bend under the strain.

So why did I forgo the tree this year?  A few reasons--I am concerned about the potential danger to Jacques who is a quick little bugger and might do some damage to it or himself if I let my guard down for even a second; I won't be here at Christmas, I'll be in Huntsville with my brother and his family so I will get my fair share of tree there; My Honey isn't able to come home for Christmas this year since he's used up all his vacation time so he won't be here to appreciate it; and lastly, it's been a tough year with more losses than I care to name and I just don't feel like it.

Now I know some of you will think these excuses are just that--excuses.  You'll think it would be good for me to put up the tree, embrace the Christmas spirit and chase away the blues with tinsel and lights.  I appreciate your concern, but I'm here to tell you you're wrong.  There's nothing more depressing than putting up a tree by yourself that no one (besides yourself) will see and then taking it down by yourself after Christmas when the sugar-high has worn off and the reality of 3 more months of freezing cold and snow is setting in.

By not putting up a tree, I can worry less about my dog, I can get my fill of Christmas cheer back in Huntsville without the work of putting up or taking down the tree, and lastly I don't have to look at all those "special" ornaments that will flood me with bittersweet memories of Christmas's past with my Mom.  I'm just not ready for that.  Instead, I'll be making new memories with my adorable nieces and my wonderful brother and sister-in-law who really need me there this year to bring the festive and not the sad and depressed.

So, instead of having my own tree, I've installed a Photos of Christmas Trees widget on the right-hand side of my blog.  Here I go, bringing the festive!  You're welcome.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Logical Libby said...

We didn't a tree this year either. Meg might climb it. I miss it.

Mindy said...

I would have looked at your tree when I come to meet your dog.

I get it. You don't need to put up a tree. Be sad. It is what it is.

xo

Katie said...

i wasn't going to comment because i have nothing useful to say, but then i saw that the captcha was 'dingie' and that made me laugh out loud, so i thought i'd take advantage of the awesome captcha.
i apologize for the comment that has absolutely nothing to do with your post.

psychsarah said...

I never put the tree up unless we're actually going to be at home for Christmas. Given your rationale, I'd say you made a wise decision (not that my opinion really matters, but hey...) I hope you have a lovely Christmas with your bro, SIL, and beautiful nieces. Here's to new happy memories :)

To Katie-I would have totally done the same thing, given a cool captcha :)

Linda said...

F*#* it. You can be a Grinch, Scrooge or the littlest angel...all at the same time, if you can manage it. You be Stacy. That's who we love.