Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dog vs Food

I have no qualms about feeing Jacques "people food" since the dog food I do feed him is full of human-grade ingredients.  But just like with humans, it's important for the food to be healthy.  So today I decided to give him a chunk of broccoli stem.  I don't eat this part of the plant anyway and I figured it would be the perfect toughness for him to chew while still being edible and not full of fats and crap.  Turns out he loved it.  Here's some photographic proof:






I kinda hoped this would keep him occupied for a while, but it only took him about 10 minutes to completely demolish it--not a speck remains.  In fact he sniffed around for any he might have missed for another minute before giving up and coming to me for more!  Maybe tomorrow, my friend.

Also in dog-related news, Jacques has now learned to go do "his business" outside.  He's had far fewer accidents since learning to go outside and this has allowed me to let him move more-or-less freely within the apartment.  He still isn't allowed in the bedroom or My Honey's office, but he's too busy chasing the cat around the kitchen and living room to notice.  I still restrict him to the bathroom and hall when I'm not at home because there's just too much for him to get into when not supervised, but having him follow me around has been fun and we're bonding even more.  I was worried he'd be chewing on everything in sight, but that hasn't been the case at all.  He's being very well behaved and having enough naps that the cat isn't too put-out by having to share the space.  Fingers crossed, we seem to be moving in the right direction.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Bout time there was more pics! Thanks for keeping us up to date on his bathroom habits.. I was beginning to wonder...

;)

Sue said...

He's just way way too cute!!

Logical Libby said...

My dog LOVES veggies. Pretty much anything but lettuce. She'll even beg for them.

psychsarah said...

The key to keeping him eating veggies (and not other stuff) is to never feed him the other stuff! My dog growing up, Hunter, would eat carrots with reckless abandon til he discovered the joy which is cheese. Then he looked at the carrots as if to say, "you're insulting me with this thing, give me the yummier orange thing please!"

Outsource said...

I just lve those pictures. Cute as it is.

Great Post