Thursday, May 7, 2009

Here's Something to Make My Problems Seem Insignificant

The day I left California for home, my train to the airport was delayed because someone walked in front of a Caltrain in a successful bid to end his life. It happened to be the train that left right before the one I was scheduled to take. I had even thought about taking this earlier train, just to be sure I wouldn't miss my flight.

As my train slowly passed by the site of the "incident," I saw his body covered by a yellow tarp. It was more disturbing than I expected it to be.

Today I decided to search Google news to see if they had anything on the incident--they did, but in looking I discovered someone else had done much the same thing the day before. This one disturbed me even more since there was a possibility I had may have interacted with this individual as I and My Honey have been to her place of work on more than one occassion.

I guess I'm posting this to reassure you all that despite the fact that I'm down right now, I am no where near where these two poor souls had to have been to do what they did.

My heart goes out to those they left behind.

1 comment:

psychsarah said...

Nothing like tragedy to put things into perspective eh? It breaks my heart that people take such measures instead of reaching out for help. On some level, after talking to a number of suicidal people in the course of my work, I get how people can get to that point, but it doesn't make it any less tragic, especially, as you point out, for those they've left behind.

I'm glad you're no where near that point, I would like to state for the record that if you ever thought you were going down that path, that there are people who would leap to help at a seconds notice-just say the word my friend!!