Friday, October 24, 2008

Breaking News: Hell Has Frozen Over!

I've got some news that may shock some of you. It may cause you to gasp, rub your eyes and blink repeatedly in wonder. But I assure you what you are about to read is absolutely real.

I joined a gym.

Not only that, but since my first visit on Saturday, I have been every day except Sunday and Wednesday.

Now I know what you're thinking and I swear "gym" is not a euphemism for anything like "shopping club" or "lazy slacker club". I really have joined a gym and I really have been there 5 times in the last 7 days and here's the most unbelievable part--I'm actually enjoying it.

There's no way I would have had the nerve to join on my own and it just so happens that a certain friend (Kiki) of mine is marrying a certain other friend (Randy) of mine in about a year's time and she might have been slightly motivated to get in better shape for the occasion. I might have mentioned to her that a certain someone close to me (my Honey) was worried about my health and that this person (gotta love him) had mentioned that joining a gym might be a good way to get in shape. So one thing led to another and now I find myself sweating on the treadmill next to Kiki and doing abdominal crunches on an excercise ball in front of a bank of mirrors.

Yeah, I know I said I'm enjoying it but maybe not that part.

It's great having a gym buddy, though. We help each other with the weight machines and since she's in better shape than I am, it makes me push myself harder to keep up with her. I need someone to constantly bug me to go ("We're going to the gym tonight/Meet you at the gym after work, etc") and she needs someone who won't make her feel like she's being judged for not being athletic so it's really a sybiotic relationship we've got going here--neither one of us would have done this on our own but together we had the nerve to face our fears and take the plunge.

My goal is not measured in pounds or inches lost--success for me will mean being able to climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, lowering my blood pressure and improving my overall quality of life. I'm not getting any younger and already I have signs of arthritis in my knees and hips. Hopefully it's not too late for me to turn back the clock and repair some of the damage my partying lifestyle has inflicted on my poor carcass. I'm surprised at how much I've improved my stamina just over the last week. Who knows, maybe there's still hope for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow-props to you! You are going to inspire me to return to the gym I've been paying for and not attending for months... Speaking as someone who also loathed the idea of a gym once upon a time, it is amazing the difference in how you feel when you're active. I'd say there's always hope!!